Wednesday 3 September 2014

The Soul of Kiel (4)


Today I cycled off the Stadtplan Kiel, which I got at the tourist information and which will define the limits of my project here. I rode through a wooded area, then passed fields that stretched to the horizon and turned back. This was near Knoop. I don't know where the German name stems from, but in Dutch it means 'button' or 'knot'.
Anyhow, my object was to look around the canal locks of the Nord-Ostsee-Kanal, a man-made freshwater passage that cuts right through Schleswig-Holstein. There is a small ferry to take you over, when you are on foot or bicycle. But before embarking I followed the fences around Kiel's marine base, reached a dead-end where a lot of campers (mobile homes) were parked and senior citizens hung around a teagarden quietly overlooking the shipping activity, passed an overgrown railtrack and industrial sites. On the other side of the canal there is the dyke (familiar!) and village and lighttower of Holtenau.
Nice trip, but not much I could work on in my function as comic-reporter. Which actually wasn't the intention as I had other assignments for the afternoon and evening.
Still, here some fresh landscapes:
looking back at Kiel from the other side of the canal

under the Prinz Heinrich bridge, view on HaGe factory

No comments:

Post a Comment