Wednesday 10 September 2014

The Soul of Kiel (8)


Before going on my way to the Pure Fruit HQ, I looked up Ernst Busch one more time. The famous communist actor/singer/worker was born and bred in Kiel, and started his career here, but never had a street named after him because of a conservatist political lobby. It was only in 2011 that sympathisers could push forward their goal and had the newly build square opposite the Hauptbahnhof, across the Hörn footbridge named Ernst-Busch-Platz. A nice place to hang out, overlooked by the giant Adam and Eve statue of Danish scuptor Bjørn Nørgaard.
There's a small impression of the place on the left page in my sketchbook.

During the weekly editorial meeting of Pure Fruit which attended one of their hardcore members, Volker Sponholz, did this little portrait of me. But I swear I wasn't pointing my pencil at them.

drawing by Volker Sponholz
There was talk about improving their freshly opened Comic Center Kiel, and the coming 8th edition of the magazine, themed 'sustainability'. Especially the financial part of it, for as you probably know all Pure Fruits made until now are, the magazine supports itself by ads and sponsors.
I'm honored to have a 4-page comic in #8.

There were showers that afternoon, and for the first time I got wet by Kielian heavenly water.

Today I strolled around the naval base area, which is now partly demilitarised, quite green and peacefully atmospherical. Below an impression of the hulking Protestant garrison Petrus Kirche:


No comments:

Post a Comment